Thursday, February 19, 2009

Exhibition : Shen Wei in Shanghai


By the time i am writing this post the exhibition has finished, nevertheless I admire Shen Wei Photography, he exhibited in the new Kunst.Licht gallery in Shanghai. For my opinion one of the best photographic exhibition in Shanghai in 2008.
The project presented : Almost Naked
here the artist Statement:
Growing up in Mainland China, I was brought up strictly and conservatively, any untraditional and unconventional ideas of life-style can sometimes lead to misconceptions. I was numbed about the ideas of intimacy, sexuality, and love. Since I moved to the United States, my needs for self-expression has grown. However, my curiosity about how others deal with their identity in what is a fairly open society like America has increased. As a result I started to photograph people and life in America.
The goal of my projects are to raise the question about human nature, about emotions, feelings, desire, instinct and identity, to reveal things that you can feel it, that are unexplainable but yet still solid. I am fascinated with exploring the complexity of emotional nakedness and psychological connection/disconnection, as it is often expressed not specifically but explicitly. Certainly my photography is my perspectives and how I look at people and life in America. But most importantly, I want viewers of my work to make their own discoveries and judgments of my photographs.